Since 2009, the FTC has seen a significant increase in the number of illegal sales calls – particularly robocalls. The reason is technology. Internet powered phone systems make it cheap and easy for scammers to make illegal calls from anywhere in the world, and to display fake caller ID information, which helps them hide from law enforcement.
I’m not sure if anyone else has seen a dramatic increase in the number of unsolicited phone calls from telemarketers and the like. It seems like over the past 3-4mos the number of calls I’ve been getting has gone from near zero to 1-2/day during the week.
So there is a pattern:
- Car Warranty Calls: so obviously the car company and other providers in that chain have disclosed my information to these people.
- Website Companies: I registered a couple of domain names for a project I’m working on, so it looks like they are mining the whois information and contacting me with that. Note to self, anonymous registrations in the future.
- Random Crap: Then there are the random calls that just don’t make any sense. I think these are likely due to purchasing property and being listed on those purchasing documents.
Well, there ya go. If I get around to it I’ll post the numbers.
So, how do we fix this little problem:
You can file complaints for each call that hits your phone and apparently there are civil penalties.
What do you need?
- The number called.
- The time of the call.
- Was it a robocall?
- What was the number that called?
- What were they calling about?
Submit the complain and keep a record.
You want to also keep a record of the date, time, and numbers when you requested that they stop contacting you.